PLAYBOY: Your father and two brothers died when you were just 10.
COLBERT: That’s right.
PLAYBOY: They were on a commercial airliner that crashed while landing in thick fog. Your brothers were both teenagers, and your father was taking them to Connecticut to enroll them in private school. How did you make sense of their deaths?
COLBERT: Things didn’t seem that important anymore. Nothing seemed that important anymore. My mother said to me—and I think she said this to all my brothers and sisters—she urged me to look at everything in the light of eternity. In other words, it doesn’t matter what I wear. I just wear the uniform of my youth. I wear an oxford-cloth shirt and khakis. What does it matter? What does it matter what I wear?
PLAYBOY: As a 10-year-old boy who just lost his dad, that advice helped you?
COLBERT: Sure, absolutely.
PLAYBOY: It’s been almost four decades since it happened. Does the grief dissipate?
COLBERT: No. It’s not as keen. Well, it’s not as present, how about that? It’s just as keen but not as present. But it will always accept the invitation. Grief will always accept the invitation to appear. It’s got plenty of time for you.
PLAYBOY: “I’ll be here.”
COLBERT: That’s right. “I’ll be here when you need me.” The interesting thing about grief, I think, is that it is its own size. It is not the size of you. It is its own size. And grief comes to you. You know what I mean? I’ve always liked that phrase He was visited by grief, because that’s really what it is. Grief is its own thing. It’s not like it’s in me and I’m going to deal with it. It’s a thing, and you have to be okay with its presence. If you try to ignore it, it will be like a wolf at your door.
(I continue to think Stephen Colbert is an amazing human being).
Leave A Commentcomments powered by Disqus
- rachelgittens likes this
- dreadforks reblogged this from crystalsandcoal
- vicarious-eulogy reblogged this from cktville
- crystalsandcoal reblogged this from cktville
- crystalsandcoal likes this
- mutethemonkey reblogged this from club-keno
- whereeissmyymind likes this
- frkrsng likes this
- celinenyc likes this
- what-did-tyler-create reblogged this from club-keno
- club-keno reblogged this from 4thsoul
- cosmic-desert likes this
- 4thsoul reblogged this from trxfreely
- 4thsoul likes this
- section9 likes this
- trxfreely reblogged this from cktville
- trxfreely likes this
- coldestbitchonthisplanet reblogged this from emilyglangston
- dontknowyoudontwantto likes this
- staciw likes this
- ihaterocks likes this
- anarcho-alowisney reblogged this from cktville
- emilyglangston reblogged this from jasontatum
- jasontatum reblogged this from cktville
- parttimerealist likes this
- cktville posted this